I am not an expert on the topic, but today I heard about someone who wanted to increase traffic to their site with improved search results obtained with a some kind of not so new google hack: autogenerated pages that re-link to the original one a gazillion times. I think such practice may lead to google taking your site from its index:
There are lots of other (legit) ways to get better search results rather than faking pages that do not exist. The “faking pages” thing is something I read about in an article on how to foil evil bots with the creation of “honeypots”
0. First: for which searches, keywords etc. do you want to be listed? Now design your page.
1. Use html: headers, pagetitle, meta-tags, alt-tags on images, actual content should also refer to your chosen topic.
2. A tip from google: view your pages with lynx, if they display well, bots are probably going to be able to analyze your site to your advantage.
3. Make lots of content.
4. Get links from other pages. Yes I guess for real webmarketing some work needs to be done.
a) get listed in directories
b) get people to review your site
c) use ads
d) ask people to place links on their pages
5. Submit your page to as many search engines as you can find
6. Blogs seem to be always listed prominently, find an on-topic blog and comment there or make your own.
7. Most important: make a good product and a good page for it :-p
As I said I am not an expert.
A very very helpful site is Webmaster World.
Added 03/19: To clarify my point, the times where you could generate substance from nothing in this industry are gone. To create substance you have to invest something, you have to do your work. But going to hard way returns not only the better results, the results will also be much more reliable.