Don’t you hate it when you find out something worked all along? I do.
I spent at least 8 hours figuring out how to get the sound on my re-installed linux system to work. I did everything as advised and finally I quit trying. There was always some error message I even downloaded the current drivers and all. I re-compiled the kernel multiple times. I tried again with 2.6 and then ….
After each new attempt I started xmms to test whether by chance sound was now working. All I saw how xmms was cycling through the playlist at random. No sound.
This morning I was going to give it a last shot.
Then I remembered: to save them from being deleted I had moved the mp3s to my home directory. I started xmms and edited the playlist.
I hit the play button and my ears were graced by DAMN LOUD NOISE. On windows I have entirely different mixer settings and had so turned the speaker volume way up.
The first for my ears the second for my stupidity.
But I have sound now. And therefore this is not in the ‘Mishaps’ category 🙂