Categories
geekiness Uncategorized

Axis of Evil Rant Part III

It is over, I think. And I believe it was not-my-fault. It’s a bug not a feature.

After deployment was working I was having trouble with some weird exceptions which I could not place. Finally I had this nice idea, that I could maybe get myself the ‘message’ from the original exception and voila: it was a failed login into the database. I knew before that there would be trouble with that because I had not yet adapted the database name for my project. So I was much farther than I thought and only after debugging 1.5 days I found out that all I needed to do was change one word in a config file. Which teaches us: “Don’t do it later!”

Fine so I fixed that – nearly jumped out the window when I saw that. Well after the login I got no more exceptions from the service itself – never mind the SOAPMonitor never showed any soap messages besides the deployment messages.

So I was looking forward to getting results. But then came the de/serialization issue. I knew the project was running somewhere so everything for that should be in place. Well but somehow I kept getting a ‘missing a de/serializer here’ on the client side. I added a ‘beanMapping’ to my deployment descriptor: didn’t help. I got myself confused with xmlns/namespaces to no end – could have gotten drunk instead for the same effect. Nothing I tried for 2 days worked. Nothing. The mailinglist was curisouly quiet on the topic except for someone who suggested that I was missing the ‘registerTypeMapping’ part in my client code.

But I generated my client with WSDL2Java which was supposed to produce code that contained this registration. I looked for it and it did not. I kept hoping that if I changed around the namespaces enough that magically everything would work. I tried dozens of versions of the beanMapping. Not a thing. Still I was getting the no deserializer error.

In the end I took the generated client added the code someone had suggested to fix the client and after some package issues – it worked. It simply worked. Results and everything there. Again 2 days down the drain.

So what did I learn: do not use any programs that magically generate code …. do not. Yes yes use compilers and parser generators and all that but do not use programs promising to generate code from XML or similar!!!!!

Finally I can start to program!

By Yashima

Writer of code and stories